It is raining like crazy in California, so have something warm and gooey, but not fattening for dinner.
Baked Ziti with Turkey Sausage
3/4 pounds turkey sausage, casings removed
1 medium onion, uncooked and chopped
1 medium green pepper, chopped
28oz canned diced tomatoes
2 TBSP tomato paste
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp dried basil
1/2 tsp dried thyme
1/2 tsp fennel seed
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
12 oz whole wheat ziti, cooked according to package directions
6 oz mozzarella, fat-free, shredded
1. Cook the pasta according to directions.
2. Position the rack in the center of the oven and heat to 350 degrees.
3. Crumble the sausage meat into a large saucepan and brown over medium heat, stirring often, about four minutes.
4. Drain off any fat, then add the onion and bell pepper. Cook, stirring often, until softened, about three minutes.
5. Stir in the tomatoes, tomato paste, oregano, basil, thyme, fennel seed, salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer, then reduce the heat and cook uncovered five minutes, stirring often.
6. Stir in the pasta and half the grated cheese. Spread evenly into a 9 x 13-inch baking pan. Top evenly with the remaining cheese.
7. Bake until the cheese has melted and the casserole is bubbling, about 20 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes at room temperature before slicing into 8 pieces and then serve.