Anyone who knows me can tell you that peanut butter and chocolate are my two favorite foods (followed closely by freshly baked bread and wine). For now, I’m focusing on my first two to make a really yummy, really rich cupcake. I hope you enjoy them as much as I did…I was in heaven.
Peanut Butter Cupcakes
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
6 Tbsp unsalted butter, at room temperature
3/4 cup smooth peanut butter
1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup milk
1. Heat the oven to 350 degrees. Line 12 muffin tin cups with paper liners. Sift the flour, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl and set aside.
2. In a large bowl, using an electric mixer on medium, beat the butter, peanut butter and brown sugar until smooth and light in color, about 1-2 minutes. Stop the mixer and scrape the sides of the bowl as needed during mixing. Mix in the egg. Add the vanilla and beat for 1 minute, or until the batter is smooth. On low speed, add the flour mixture in 3 sections and the milk in 2 sections, beginning and ending with the flour mixture. Mix just until the flour is incorporated and the batter looks smooth.
3. Fill each cup with about 1/4 cup of batter, to about 1/3-inch below the top of the liner. Bake just until the tops feels firm and are lightly browned, about 20 minutes. There will be a few cracks on top. Cool the cupcakes for 10 minutes in the pan on a wire rack. Carefully remove cupcakes from pan to finish cooking.
Chocolate Buttercream Frosting
2 3/4 cups powdered suagr
6 Tbsp cocoa powder
6 Tbsp butter, at room temperature
5 Tbsp evaporated milk
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
1. In a medium bowl, sift together the powdered sugar and cocoa, and set aside. In a large bowl, cream butter until smooth, then gradually beat in sugar mixture alternately with evaporated milk. Blend in vanilla. Beat until light and fluffy. If necessary, adjust consistency with more milk or sugar.
2. Use a pastry bag to pipe icing on or use a spatula, whatever your preference. Garnish with chopped Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups.