These cupcakes have the freshest, most wonderful flavor, perfect for springtime. It yields 36 cupcakes.
3 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp coarse salt
1 lb unsalted butter, room temperature (4 sticks)
2 cups sugar
3 Tbsp finely grated lemon zest (about 3 lemons)
3 tbsp finely grated orange zest (about 2 oranges)
3 tbsp finely grated lime zest, plus more for garnish (about 3 limes)
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
9 large eggs, room temperature
1 1/2 cup confectioners’ sugar, sifted
1/4 tsp finely grated citrus zest of your choice (orange, lemon or lime)
3 Tbsp fresh citrus juice (orange, lemon or lime)
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Line standard muffin tins with paper liners. Whisk together flour and salt.
2. With an electric mixer on medium high speed, cream butter and sugar until pale and fluffy, scraping down sides of bowl every few minutes. Add citrus zests. Reduce speed to medium, and add vanilla. Add eggs, three at a time, beating until incorporated, scraping down the sides of bowl as needed. Reduce speed to low. Add flour mixture in four batches, beating until completely incorporated after each.
3. Divide batter evenly among lined cups, filling each 3/4 full; tap pan on countertop once to distribute batter evenly. Bake, rotating tins halfway through, until a cake tester inserted in the centers comes out clean, about 20 minutes. Transfer tins to wire rack to cool 10 minutes; tun cupcakes onto racks and cool completely. Cupcakes can be stored up to 2 days at room temperature, or frozen up to 2 months, in airtight containers.
4. To finish, dip tops of cupcakes in glaze, then turn over quickly to garnish with zest. Cupcakes are best eaten the day they are glazed; keep at room temperature until ready to serve.
1. Whisk all ingredients until smooth and combined. Use immediately.