Sweet potatoes aren’t just for Thanksgiving and Christmas. Not only are they delicious and readily available, often already cubed, but they offer many health benefits, including:
1. They are high in vitamin B6, which helps prevent heart attacks.
2. They are a good source of vitamin C, which is essential in helping ward off colds and the flu, but also helps maintain youthful skin.
3. They contain vitamin D, which is critical for immune health.
4. They contain iron, which aid in red and white blood cell production.
5. They are a good source of magnesium, which is the anti-stress and relaxation mineral.
Here’s a quick, easy recipe that pairs with just about anything. I always buy my sweet potatoes cubed. If sweet potatoes aren’t available at the store, you can substitute yams.
3 large sweet potatoes, in 1-inch cubes
2 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp brown sugar
1 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1. Grease a 11 x 17-inch baking dish.
2. Place all ingredients in the dish and mix well.
3. Bake, uncovered, at 400 degrees for 40-45 minutes or until potatoes are tender, stirring every 15 minutes.