I’ve been accused of making The Best ginger cookies. I swear my next-door-neighbor Tiffany can smell them when they’re in my oven and meanders over. I got this recipe from A Midsummer’s Dream Bed & Breakfast in Ashland, Oregon, which is the most luxurious B&B with the most incredible breakfasts we’ve ever stayed at. Here’s the recipe:
¾ cup shortening
1 cup sugar
¼ cup molasses
2 cups flour
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
½ tsp ground cloves
1 tsp ginger
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cream together shortening, sugar, egg and molasses in the mixer. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves and ginger.
- Mix the dry ingredients into the wet in small portions, letting each portion incorporate completely before adding more.
- Use a cookie scoop to place dough on a cookie sheet. (I always use a Silpat or silicone matt. They prevent the cookies from sticking.) Bake 12 minutes in a conventional oven or 8 minutes in a convection oven. Cool on a cooling rack.
- NOTE: Smetimes I like to drizzle them with a little lemon glaze. The combination of ginger and lemon is perfection. Just take some powdered sugar and whisk in fresh lemon juice until you get the desired consistency and drizzle over the cookies.